Russell Foster is a Professor of Circadian Neuroscience at Oxford University.
In this TED Talk from 2013, he gives a challenging overview of why we sleep.
Six key points:
- Bad sleep smashes our ability to learn
- Good sleep restores the brain, trebling our ability to problem solve
- Sleeping for five hours or fewer, results in a 50% likelihood of becoming obese
- Tired people are more stressed and more susceptible to serious illness
- Seek out morning light instead of caffeine
- Neuroscience is suggesting that sleep quality is at the root of mental health